Sterling Silver vs. Plated silver vs. Argentium Silver
- Sterling silver contains a minimum of 92.5% pure silver.
- It is the remaining 7.5% which causes it to tarnish.
- Pure silver is too soft for jewelry so it needs to be alloyed
- It will last for a long time if cared for properly.
- Hypoallergenic. It doesn't cause allergies or reactions in most people. Some people are allergic, however
- Silver plated items are made of a lesser quality metal and then covered with a thin layer of silver, making them less valuable than jewelry made of sterling silver.
- Non-hypoallergenic. It may cause reactions in some people.
- Argentium is a form of sterling silver that is composed of the same amount of silver as sterling silver. However germanium is added to the silver to make up the remaining %.
- Does not tarnish.